Cantor Aaron Cohen
Cantor Aaron Cohen has proudly served Woodbury Jewish Center since 2000. Cantor Cohen is a second generation hazzan and has studied cantorial music with world renowned cantors. He is is a graduate of Solomon Schechter, Prozdor and attended Camp Ramah. Cantor Cohen's inspirational musical style encourages everyone to participate, filling our sanctuary with voices of prayer.
Cantor Cohen graduated from the Institute for Leaders from Abroad in Israel as well as Queens College, majoring in both Judaic Studies and History. He also graduated as a family educator from SAJES. In addition to his Cantorial role, Cantor Cohen helps prepare Bar and Bat Mitzvah candidates for leading a Shabbat service and he leads family education programs for our Alef class (3rd grade) giving students a strong foundation to begin their Hebrew studies.
For his years of outstanding service to the Jewish community, Cantor Cohen:
- received the Israel Freedom Award;
- has been honored by the State of Israel Bonds;
- is the recipient of the Keter Shem Tov award;
- received an Honorable Citation from the Town of Oyster Bay
- received a Citation award from Senator Kemp Hannon; and
- produced a prayer CD that received awards from the Metropolitan region of the United Synagogues as a teaching CD for both children and adults.
Involved in every aspect of our synagogue, Cantor Cohen:
- oversees our Bar/Bat Mitzvah program, rehearsing with our children prior to their Bar/Bat Mitzvah;
- teaches in our religious school, both prayer and music;
- teaches a variety of adult education courses;
- arranges speakers for our annual Yom Hashoah program;
- organizes and leads our congregants on trips to Israel, preparing and officiating at the B’nai Mitzvah of many congregants on these journeys; and
- teaches a two-year adult Bat/Bar Mitzvah class, the graduates of which become regular synagogue attendees.
In addition to his busy days at WJC, Cantor Cohen is active in countless charitable organizations. He also entertains at Gurwin Assisted Living and Solomon Schechter Day School. Finally, Cantor Cohen is a mentor to many of his colleagues, giving his vast musical knowledge to the next generation of Cantors.